135: The REAL Purpose of a Business
What if the purpose of business were to “uplift the experience of being alive on the planet?” My guest Blaine Bartlett proposes this definition after 30+ years of working with all kinds of organizations. Blaine makes the point that potential customers will want to buy from a company that takes this approach because they’ll feel good about themselves when they do. There are lots of thought-provoking moments in my conversation with this very remarkable human being.
Blaine is President and CEO of Avatar Resources, Inc., a consulting firm he founded in 1987. He coaches and consults worldwide with leaders, executives, companies and governments. He’s also the Founder of the Institute for Compassionate Capitalism and a longtime member of the Transformational Leadership Council. Blaine is the author of 5 books, and we talked about his two latest ones: Compassionate Capitalism: A Journey to the Soul of Business and The Leadership Mindset Weekly.
- What’s broken about capitalism and what Blaine sees as the solution
- How Blaine defines compassion in the context of business
- A 3-word definition of leadership that’s right on target
- How the “reality distortion field” can help you accelerate achievement of your goals
- What companies that adopt compassionate capitalism do differently