250: What It Takes to Improve High-Impact Communication Skills
To celebrate Episode #250, Meredith invited her business partner of 32 years, Dr. Denny Coates, to be her guest and discuss insights they’ve acquired around skill development and behavior change.
Denny and Meredith were introduced to each other in 1990 and met for breakfast to get acquainted. Three hours later, they were still talking. They are still fascinated with each other’s thinking as they’ve evolved as individuals and as a company over the past 3 decades
Denny is CEO of Grow Strong Leaders and is the primary author of the company’s products and books. He’s a graduate of West Point and the Army Ranger School and earned his Ph.D. from Duke University. He served on the faculties of the United States Military Academy, the Armed Forces Staff College, the College of William and Mary, and the Center for Creative Leadership.
- How knowledge and skills are different
- What it takes to establish a skill so you use it automatically
- Why it’s important to focus on improving just one skill at a time
- How to provide coaching to every person in an organization
- What the peer coaching process looks like